Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Pros and Cons of Online Classes

I take a lot of online classes through Mid-Plains.

Being able to take online courses has made it possible for me to pursue personal endeavors while also getting a college education. But online classes aren’t for the faint of heart. Many of the positives of online classes have negative aspects, and some of the negatives even have positive aspects. Online college students have to be responsible, committed, and able to discipline themselves to complete coursework. Although the ultimate outcome of completing an online college course is the same as that of completing an in-person course, the journey to the end is very different.

In my opinion, one of the primary positives of online college classes is flexibility. When enrolled in online classes, I can do my schoolwork from anywhere in the world, work ahead on assignments to clear time for important events, and complete homework on my own timeline. All I need is a computer and a reliable Internet connection. I travel overseas a lot, and can be gone for up to half of the year, so being able to take online classes to continue working towards my degree is extremely important. Aside from the fact that I can take my schoolwork with me wherever I go, leaving on a big trip is much less stressful when I can get ahead on my assignments beforehand. However, when I’m home, the benefits of flexibility are still there. I’ve found that during terms when I’m taking mostly online classes, I’m able to regulate my schedule more efficiently, and I feel significantly less tense than when I’m taking a majority of in-person classes.

But there is a dark side.

As much as I enjoy the flexibility provided by online courses, there are times when it can negatively influence my methods of time management. In fact, having flexibility can even cause me to be more stressed, rather than ease the tension. Making decisions about my schedule carries more weight than it seems like it would. Having flexibility doesn’t mean that I get to do whatever I want, whenever I want; it means that I get to organize my week, instead of somebody else organizing my week for me. I still have to structure my life and keep up with my responsibilities, such as promptly and satisfactorily completing coursework.

The flexibility of online classes comes with a selection of disadvantages, though. One relatively common issue I run into is where an assignment is explained in a somewhat confusing or unclear manner. In this situation, even if I’m relatively sure of the instructions, I email the teacher for clarification. In an in-person class setting, if the assignment instructions are unclear, I can ask for clarification in the moment; in an online class, I can still ask questions, but sometimes it takes some time to get a response. I must say though, this negative isn’t always negative. In fact, it has a positive aspect. True, the process of asking questions via email can be time-consuming, but it also develops communications skills. Asking questions verbally in real time isn’t as difficult; I can rephrase my question until I’m asking exactly what I need to ask. But writing an email requires me to recognize exactly what I don’t understand, and then communicate it in an easily understandable manner.

In addition to the occasionally slow process of communication, there tend to be a lot of distractions that arise when I’m working on my assignments for my online classes. These distractions can range from something as minor as a loud catfight outside, to something more major like an unforeseen illness that inhibits my ability to finish assignments. Either way, there are usually a few distractions every day that interrupt my thoughts while I’m working on my coursework. However, although distractions may be annoying, they force me to really focus on what I’m doing, rather than tuning out and thinking about something other than the assignment.

Ultimately, despite the distractions and minor annoyances that come with online classes, I’m grateful that I’m able to do my schoolwork from home. Even when I have trouble scheduling my week, or run into a major technology or communication issue, I’m still able to resolve the conflict in relative comfort. In my opinion, the benefits of online classes far outweigh the costs. I’ve been able to resolve many of the conflicts that arise when taking online classes through a change in my mindset. This mindset requires some upkeep, but it’s worth it. When I resolve these minor conflicts I enjoy doing my schoolwork, and appreciate the freedom and flexibility of online classes.





Lydian Shipp

Webzine Team Member

No comments:

Post a Comment