Monday, May 5, 2014

My Experience at MCC



In my short two years here at McCook Community College I have been able to experience many different things on campus. In my first year I had the chance to participate in intercollegiate volleyball. I had lived in the dorms, which was an experience, and had been accepted into Phi Theta Kappa. Things sure did change from my first year to my second I no longer played volleyball, I had moved into an apartment here in McCook and had taken on a leadership role.

My first year was full of volleyball, weather it was practice, games, volunteering or just hanging out with my teammates. As a team we had volunteered at a few different places. First, towards the end of volleyball season we went out to the armory and packed meals for children. I sure had a fun time helping out others that were in need! I have made some life long friends from playing the sport and is probably my greatest experience from playing volleyball.

As I had stated earlier I had been accepted into Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society for two year colleges. I had decided to take a leap of faith and run for office. I had been voted vice president of leadership for the Eta Omicron chapter here at MCC. I had a hard time believing that someone would think of me as a leader. The more I got involved in PTK, I had started to realize that I was the leader that everyone saw. Phi Theta Kappa has probably been the one thing at MCC that has showed me just a glimpse at my true potential, all thanks to Shannon Schaben our advisor. She has been amazing, one relationship at MCC that will never be forgotten.

The relationships that I have formed at MCC through class have even helped me get more opportunities in the community. My first semester here I took introduction to to professional education, in this class we had to do 15 service hours, I did mine at the YMCA which ended up with me having a evening job just about every Tuesday and Thursday. Once again, my relationship with Shannon Schaben has also been beneficial to my involvement in the community. She knew that I loved volleyball so she had told me that St. Pat's elementary school had needed a volunteer volleyball coach, so thanks to Shannon I was now coaching the sport I loved and once again making connections with in the community. The staff here at MCC is one of the finest I have seen, they will go above and beyond to help out any student in need! McCook Community College was the perfect fit for me!!

Miranda Farley

MCC Webzine Team Member

No comments:

Post a Comment